DID YOU KNOW?
- Every two seconds someone in the United States needs blood.
- One donation can help save up to three lives.
- One in 10 people entering a hospital needs blood.
- There is no substitute for human blood. It cannot be manufactured.
- Approximately 38 percent of the population is eligible to donate blood. Of those eligible, only a small percentage actually give blood.
- In the United States, someone needs a blood transfusion about every two seconds.
- Currently there is no surplus of blood so American Red Cross is still in an emergency appeal. Give one more gift this year…the gift of life.
Blood donors should be 17 or older (16 with completed Parental Consent Form), weigh at least 110 pounds and be generally healthy. Donors are asked to eat a light meal before the drive and drink plenty of fluids Refreshments will be provided afterward.
All presenting blood donors will receive a free long sleeve t-shirt from Red Cross and one free Zoo admission for use on or before March 14, 2013.
Appointments strongly preferred. To make an appointment, please go to www.redcrossblood.org and enter sponsor code: NashvilleZoo (registration opens Nov 18)