Travel "backstage" at the Zoo to learn about animal care, behavior and conservation! Backstage Pass gives you behind-the-scenes access to areas not available to the public. These special 90-minute tours are filled with experiences and information you cannot get anywhere else.
Purchase your ticket in advance through our website or at the Zoo's ticket booth (subject to availability). All children must be accompanied by an adult. Tours occur daily and cost $40 per person*.
Backstage Pass: Off-season, Weekend Tours
Offered on Saturdays & Sundays at 10:30 AM through March 12
$40 per person*
This 90-minute tour will take you behind-the-scenes to the Zoo's anteater barn, giraffe barn and commissary. You'll even share treats with a giraffe or anteater!
- A maximum of 6 people will be on this tour
- Recommended for ages 8 and up
- No food or drink are allowed, except for water bottles with closed lids. Water bottles must remain closed and put away while visiting animal areas.
- Meet at the Nashville Zoo logo rock just outside of Entry Village 10 to 15 minutes before your tour.
- No restrooms are available on the tour. There is a bathroom located near the meeting spot in Entry Village.
- You may store strollers at the Rentals building in Entry Village during the tour.
- There will be some walking on flat surfaces from the tour cart into buildings/animal areas.
- This tour is wheelchair accessible, but please let us know in advance so we can make appropriate accommodations for you.
- Service animals are not permitted on this tour.
Reserve your spot!
*Tour price does not include Zoo admission.
Historic Home and Garden Tours
Have you ever visited the Zoo and wondered what "Grassmere" means or who the Croft's were? Why are those names important to the history of Nashville Zoo? The answers to these questions can be found during a tour of the Grassmere Historic Home, located at the Historic Farm area of the Zoo.
Availability of Grassmere Historic Home tours varies by season.
- January - March 17: closed
- March 18 - 26: open daily
- March 29 - May 21: open Wednesday through Sunday
- May 24 - July 31: open daily
- August 1 - October 15: open Wednesday through Sunday, 10am - 5pm
- October 16 - November: closed, except for November 11-12
- December - closed, except for Christmas tours on December 2-3, 9-10, 16-17
Explore and roam the Historic Home between 10 a.m. - 11:15 a.m.
Do you want to visit the Grassmere Historic Home but do not have time to take a tour? Come to an open house and roam through the house on your own. Staff will be on-hand to answer questions.
Historic Home Tour
This 30 minute tour takes place daily at noon.
Take a step back in time to experience life in a Middle Tennessee farm home.
Learn about the five generations of family members who occupied the home when it was built in 1810 to when the land was willed, eventually becoming Nashville Zoo. See original family artifacts, learn about the farm's connection to Cuba, and learn about the outbuildings that played a vital role in the history of the property.
This 20 minute tour takes place daily at 11:30 a.m.
While kids are invited to join any guided tour, these kid-friendly tours are shorter and focus on topics this age group may find interesting.
These tours will give children a glimpse into the house's history and importance, and explain how the Grassmere property became the Nashville Zoo. Tours will include peeks into the Historic Home and artifact encounters.
Farm Outbuilding Tour
Tour length varies
The Grassmere Historic Farm is much more than just the Historic Home. Learn more about how five generations lived and worked on the property.
The outbuildings on the Historic Farm each have their own story and unique purpose. Visitors are invited to visit the carriage barn, gardens, kitchen, smokehouse, slave cabin, and cemetery. Tour starts at the kitchen building.
Encounters will take place from 10:30 a.m. - 12 p.m. beginning June 5 - July 31.
Did you ever want to reach out and touch one of the artifacts inside the house? Artifact Encounters will offer visitors a chance to get up close and personal with actual artifacts and replicas from the Grassmere Historic Farm collection.