Travel "backstage" at the Zoo to learn about animal care, behavior and conservation! Backstage Pass gives you behind-the-scenes access to areas not available to the public. These special tours are filled with experiences and information you cannot get anywhere else.
We recommend purchasing your ticket in advance to secure your spot! Check out the tour options and availability below.
All tours, except the Rise & Shine with Rhinos tour, are wheelchair accessible with advance notice so that accommodations can be made.
- Each tour has a maximum of 7-9 people.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult.
- Tours involve some walking on mostly flat surfaces from the tour cart into buildings/animal areas.
- No food or drink are allowed, except for water bottles with closed lids. Water bottles must remain closed and put away while visiting animal areas.
- Meet at the Nashville Zoo logo rock just outside of Entry Village 10 to 15 minutes before your tour.
- No restrooms are available on the tour. There is a bathroom located near the meeting spot in Entry Village.
- You may store strollers at the Rentals building in Entry Village during the tour.
- Service animals are not permitted on these tours.
Docent-led Walking Tours
Free with Zoo admission
45-minute tour, available every Thursday & Sunday.
Requires pre-registration at least one week in advance.
Enjoy a personalized visit to the Zoo with a guided walking tour led by our docents (trained volunteer educators).
Register your group (up to 40 guests) by contacting Chris Radek, the Zoo's Interpretation Manager, at email@example.com or 615-833-1534 x146.
Nashville Zoo Around the World: Learn more about Nashville Zoo’s conservation efforts, both locally and globally, and how you can help!
We Are Family!: Many animals at Nashville Zoo live in family groups just like us. Why? Learn more about these animals that live in groups and how it helps them survive.
Historic Home and Garden Tours
Have you ever visited the Zoo and wondered what "Grassmere" means or who the Croft's were? Why are those names important to the history of Nashville Zoo? The answers to these questions can be found during a tour of the Grassmere Historic Home, located at the Historic Farm area of the Zoo.
- January - March 8: closed
- March 9 - March 18: open daily
- March 21 - April 30: open Thursday-Monday, closed Tuesday/Wednesday
- May 1 - August 5: open daily
- August 8 - October 7: open Thursday-Monday, closed Tuesday/Wednesday
- October 8 - November 29: closed, except November 9-10
- Christmas tours: November 30, December 1, December 7-8, December 14-15
Self-Guided Tour: Roam at your own pace between 10-11:15 am.
Kid-Friendly Tour: 20-minute guided tour at 11:30 am.
Guided Tour: 30-minute guided tour starts at 12:00 pm.
Learn more about the Historic Home