Maintenance Associate (posted 7/7/2014)
The Maintenance Associate is responsible for providing unskilled and/or semi-skilled labor assistance to Facility Department sections. Maintenance Associate may be assigned to Maintenance, Housekeeping, Grounds, and Security departmental sections. Work schedule may include early or late start times and working weekends and holidays as required for meeting the Zoo’s operating needs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for providing unskilled or semi-skilled labor assistance to facility department staff. Type of tasks performed will depend on if you are assigned to Maintenance, Grounds, Housekeeping or Security/parking lot departmental sections.
- Responsible for completing assigned Special Event tasks. Includes set up, take downs of event props and crowd control equipment etc. Executes tasks in a timely fashion and that work performed meets Event Coordinators criteria.
- Responsible for participating in the zoo’s Emergency Response Programs.
- Responsible for assisting other departments and staff when requested. This may include unloading hay, moving furniture, cleaning building areas etc.
- Ability to work with little or no supervision.
- Ability to interact professionally with both staff and visitors.
- Ability to perform assigned tasks in an organized and efficient manner.
- Ability to operate efficiently and safely small, medium and heavy equipment and tools required for the execution of assigned tasks.
- Ability to responsibly use and maintain assigned tools and equipment.
Must be able to work outside year round in inclement weather conditions such as extreme high/low temperatures, snow and rain conditions. Must be able to work on his or her feet for extended periods of time and have the ability to bend, stoop, and extend oneself etc., as required for performing assigned tasks. Must be able to work off of ladders, scaffolding and lifts. Must be able to lift and carry a minimum of 50 pounds.
Minimum High School diploma or GED equivalent is required. Must have a valid driver’s license. Must have a minimum of 1 year of general grounds/landscape experience.
Offers for this position are contingent on the satisfactory results of a pre-employment drug screen and criminal background check.